Friday, July 18, 2008

My Name is Earthy Birthy Mama and I have an addiction

I love plants. I cannot stop buying plants. It all started several years ago when Eddy Haskell and I still lived with my parents. My dad, Red Green, being a true naturalist did not want non native flowers planted at his house so I started some container gardens. My first containers were very simple, geraniums, marigolds, and some petunias. The next year I had some containers of impatiens, some geraniums, some chamomile, and some cannas. When I moved in with the Anti-Hippie he and Eddy bought me some planters and various annuals for Mother's Day. Over the years I have planted numerous annuals and now some perennials. I usually start buying plants at the annual FFA plant sale at a local high school, then I visit various nurseries, this one being my favorite. I spend a lot of money on these plants, but my flowers are gorgeous. I also spend a lot of time watering, feeding, and pruning the plants. I know I need to stop, as most won't last through the bitter harsh winters of the mid-west, but I can't. Actually I can because I am out of potting soil, and containers to put the plants in, I actually used an old tool box as a planter a few days ago, because I was out of containers. The Anti-Hippie says it has to stop as well, although I could have other habits that are far worse. When I get some time I will post some pictures of my favorites.

2 comments:

Earth Muffin said...

Perhaps you and the Anti-Hippie could strike a compromise...you stop with the plants and he can stop with the X-box!

Jill said...

You can always come up to my place and put your addiction to use. Our landscaping needs some serious work and I don't even know where to start!!