Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Baby is One

I have not been blogging for the past few days because:
a.) I have been busy
b.) I have been spending time with my family
and c.) Eddy left for camp on Sunday and is staying with my parents.
Yesterday was Baby Gnats first birthday, we actually celebrated it on Sunday with family, all except my parents and grandparents. See we had a party on July 4th for my Grandma's birthday and my mom and grandma gave the baby her gifts on that day. That was fine with me, except my mother Crabby Patty gave the baby an American Girl Doll, she got her Nikki the 2007 American Girl Doll of the year. Nikki is good with animals and is training a dog to be a service dog, very fitting for my mother, but WTF? Baby Gnat cannot play with this doll, not now and probably not ever, this toy is for kids 8 years and older, it says so right on the box, and this doll is not even in production anymore, so will she be worth millions when Baby Gnat is older?? Anyway it is a beautiful doll don't get me wrong, but this is like the time she bought Eddy Haskell a Fiesta Ware Tea party set when he was like 3, and he never got to use it.
Anyway we did have a lovely party the other day, she got some great appropriate outfits for the fall and winter, she got some developmentally appropriate toys that stack and sort, and Aunt Kate made her the coolest book about our back yard. Kate made this book out of fabric and she put the koi, the birds, the turtles, my garden, the dogs, everything is in this book, when I get the camera charged I need to post some pictures of this, it really kicks ass!!
Finally the cake, the cake was a huge success. I cut 3 small seedless watermelons and stacked them on a plate to make a cake of sorts, then I put some whip cream and a candle on the top and ta da, we had ourselves some cake. The baby loved it, and I even let her have the piece with the whipped cream on it and she went to town. It was a lovely party and a lovely time was had by all.
I then took Eddy down the road to meet my dad, Red Green as Eddy is staying on the "farm" for this week while he is at camp. I do miss him, as it is awfully quiet around here.
Yesterday The Anti Hippie and I went to the capital city to do some shopping and Baby Gnat hung out with us all day, I did a play by play for her as to what was happening a year ago, as it was her real birthday. We had a great day and now I cannot believe that I no longer have a baby but a one year old girl!! Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

Earth Muffin said...

It's crazy how fast that first year flies by! Happy Birthday to Baby Gnat and Happy Birth Day to you! See you tomorrow for some mommy-time.

Jill said...

Happy Birthday Baby Gnat!!! That cake sounds so cute and what a great idea that book is!

As for the doll, keep it for a few years until your mom forgets about then sell it on eBay, I say :-)