Sunday, June 22, 2008

My Yard Sale (Beer)

I have finally recovered from the yard sale, it was a lot of work, but we managed to get rid of a ton of stuff. It all began when we moved into this house. As I have spoken of before, it is really large but I do not feel that it needs to be filled with clutter and things. I have been gathering items to have in the yard sale since before we moved here, yes I know I actually moved those items, but I knew that I might be able to make some money from them. So last week Auntie Katie and I started pricing and arranging stuff in the garage, as we actually were not having the sale inside the garage, but in the big drive way just off of the garage. Well we moved some of the Anti-Hippie's stuff, and we never heard the end of it.
We got all of our items priced and were prepared for the sale which we were going to have for two days. Thursday my mother came up because she was selling some of her Longaberger Baskets at my sale. She came up a day early because she had sent out invitations inviting all of her friends to come up to my house to look at her baskets, she used to sell the damn things in the late eighties and nineties, then she quit because she did not like the direction the company was going, don't ask. She came up with beer and snacks, in hopes of selling some of her baskets. See she is now into making her own baskets and the profit from this sale was going to help her pay for the basket making work-shops. Needless to say I was having a yard sale and people were looking for bargains, not baskets that were actually priced at Bentley Book value. Anyway I digress.
Katie and I set up for the yard sale on Friday morning, and we were quite surprised with the amount of people that came considering that it was a week day. We had some really interesting items in the sale, 3 big wooden boxes that really looked like pirate's treasure chests, 3 reel to reel recorders from the United States Navy that belonged to my SIL's father, a head stone that I found in my landscaping, silk clip on ties from the seventies, the list goes on and on. Well Auntie Katie kept moving stuff up to this one spot and we kept on timing how long it would take to sell once an item was placed in this one spot. There was a carpet cleaner that sold within 15 minutes of being placed in this spot, the treasure chest sold with in a half and hour of being placed in this spot, and the head stone with Jesus and the lambs sold with in 5 minutes of placing it in that spot. I have no idea where the head stone came from nor the purpose of the head stone, I found it under some vines in the landscaping, it was granite and Jesus and some lambs were on it, there was no writing, and it was not marking a pet cemetery. Like I have posted on here before, the previous owner of this house had quite an extensive rock collection, I wonder if this "stone" was part of his collection. The people that bought the stone had just lost a horse that they had as a pet for the past 19 years, so they were going to use the stone for a marker for their beloved pet. I personally thought the stone was creepy and I am glad it sold in the sale.
One of the funniest items that sold was a mock, mock turtle neck. Auntie Katie and I were sorting clothes and she made a comment about the mock turtle neck inside of a mock turtle neck and I could not stop laughing. So Friday morning while some customers were shopping I was telling my mom about the mock turtle neck that was a double mock turtle neck, and I started to laugh again, then this lady picked it up and said "well I like this, I think I want it" that prompted me to say "well I guess I cannot make fun of it anymore.
So all in all it was a good sale I made some money, my mom made me crazy, and Auntie Katie kept me sane. My mom left yesterday after the sale and she actually sold some of her baskets, but she took her beer home with her. What kind of stingy person actually does that, if I put beer in someone's fridge and there is some left after we have partied, I usually leave it there, unless they do not drink my flavor of beer. I went in to cool off after cleaning up and the beer was gone out of my fridge, she used my house for her sale, she used my sale to sell her shit, but she took her beer. WTF???

No comments: