Saturday, May 15, 2010

Change, not the kind in the bottom of your purse



Is is bad that I am so resistant to change?
I really get worked up when things do not go according to my schemata. Take for instance next school year, as previously posted next school year we will be consolidating with a neighboring school district. This means I will be teaching a different grade level, I will be with a different team of teachers, and I will be in a different classroom. I am really anxious about the change, I walked into this job with a very bad taste in my mouth from my first year of teaching. I walked into this job not knowing what lay in store, I walked into this job with much joy in my heart because I have known all along that I am a good teacher. I was told that my sixth grade team was a difficult one, full of veteran teachers who were also resistant to change and who had a bad taste in their mouths because of previous special education teachers. Well, low and behold I broke the mold, I got along splendidly with my team and was able to make suggestions that would benefit all students. I looked forward to going to work. I was accepted and respected.
Yesterday we met with the new team of teachers from the school we are consolidating with, and they like most are apprehensive about change. The meetings went awful, we did not get our room assignments like promised and one teacher came in with a huge chip on her shoulder. I left school yesterday in tears, for the first time in a long time I felt anxious about next year.
I know I will be working with great teachers next year, a different kind of team but not all that bad. Then I did the unthinkable, I let my mouth open and words come out before my brain had time to filter what I was about to say. I told them if next year does not work out then I am quitting. Huh? What?
With the state of the economy and jobs in education in short supply what was I thinking. I was not, I was being selfish and resisting the change. Over the next few weeks as the Red Bird mascot disappears and is replaced with a panther, I have some reflecting to do. I need to make this about the new group of students whose lives I can make an impact upon, I need to just "get on the bus" and be happy that I have a job and that this is what I have wanted for a really long time. I need to let go and enjoy the ride.

1 comment:

Earth Muffin said...

Everyone gets "open mouth, insert foot" disease sometimes. It's not a big deal.

Change is hard and it seems all Illinois teachers will be coping with it next year. We'll all get through it somehow. I see us coping together over pizza and libations...