Having recently finished my teacher certification, finding out we were pregnant, and it being the middle of the school year my hopes of finding full time employment were none too high. Right before the new year, Aunt Ki-Ki sent me a Yahoo job notification that she received in her email in-box. I jumped on the chance to get employed at a school with just half the school year remaining. I jumped through all the necessary hoops like submitting a resume and a letter of intent. I also followed up with several phone calls to find out if the employer needed anything further from me. This lead to an interview. I really think I shined during the interview. I knew many of the 'buzz' words in education these days and was somewhat familiar with the direction that Special Education is headed these days. I immediately followed up the interview with a letter thanking the employer for granting me an interview and for taking me on a tour of the facilities. Finally, I had to ask several people for their references and if they would be willing to talk to this future employer on the telephone, they all agreed.
The last and final step was the most difficult, the WAIT. Waiting for the confirmation to come back via email that the future employer received the reference list, waiting for the phone call about whether or not I actually got the job. Waiting is really the hardest part. During this waiting part came the weekend, and of course no one is going to call you about a job over the weekend. So I waited and I waited. Yesterday while I was looking for a snake, I was waiting. Yesterday while I was getting the bird out of the house that flew down the flue, I was waiting. I waited all day yesterday. By this morning, I was tired of waiting. So tired in fact that I forgot to carry my phone with me from room to room, so I missed the call when it came. I saw I missed a call and IMMEDIATELY called them back. And yes after all this WAITING, I have a job!!! I will be a primary resource teacher in a very affluent school district just 15 miles north of here!! I will start as soon as I fill out the necessary paper work and get finger-printed! I waited and my patience paid off!
3 comments:
I've said it before (on Facebook) and I'll say it again... CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I'm so happy for you! I hope it's a nice place to work.
I'll start by saying, "Congratulations!" Strange how everything seems to fall into place when we least expect it, eh? I had a similar experience but during my last semester of my masters degree work. Thankfully, they were willing to offer me a position still the next school year once I had my certification. I'll be very interested to hear an update after you've been on the job. I've drawn my arc on the map approximately 15 miles from V-Town, which means I have narrowed down he possibilities to 2 different districts. Certainly, neither has a negative reputation.
Post a Comment