Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Escape Artist

Recently we acquired two more reptiles for our collection. The Anti Hippie recently went to a reptile show in St. Louis where he bought a Kenyan Sand Boa and won a Ball Python in a raffle. (I believe he was the only SUCKER that bought a raffle ticket) The Kenyan Sand Boa will only grow to be about one foot long and the Ball Python can grow to be four or five feet long. I am not apprehensive about reptiles as Eddy has been an Avid Herpetologist since he was able to walk. I am however apprehensive about the said reptile escaping which is what happened over the weekend.

The Anti Hippie was working all weekend and Aunt KiKi came over for a visit on Friday Night to eat hot-dogs and play the Wii. That was the last time we saw the Kenyan Sand Boa. Sunday afternoon when the Anti-Hippie returned from work and was going to feed and water the reptiles, he came trundling down stairs only to announce that the Kenyan Sand Boa had escaped. I was very upset as I had been assured that this would not ever happen. Toddler Gnat is in to everything, and what I did not need was for her to come in carrying a snake, alive or dead! So the search was on, Eddy and his friend Austin looked all over the upstairs, as efficiently as 10 year olds look for missing items (not very thorough). The snake was no where to be found, which led Eddy to believe that Abby, our dog known for eating just about anything, ate the snake. He looked at me and said with tears in his eyes, "her breath smells like snake." Well I think it smells like ass, but whatever.

I went to bed that night full of anxiety that a.) when I got up to pee numerous times in the night I would step on the snake and b.) I would not find the snake until much later when the aroma of dead snake filled my house!

Well my fears were alleviated yesterday morning when the Anti-Hippie and I found the snake, after a very thorough search of his office and my office/craft room. I am happy to report that at 9:37 a.m. on January 12, 2009 I found the snake and put him back in to his cage with the new reinforced lid. We are going to call him Blo-Go, for the newly impeached Illinois Governor who tends to get himself out of tight situations!

2 comments:

Earth Muffin said...

Uh...keep that thing's lid on tight when I come over. I'm not a big fan of snakes.

NDfan said...

I think this was the funniest post I've read on your blog thus far (and I'm almost caught up)! I'm not sure which part is funnier: the internal debate about the snake's breath smell or the internal anxiety about the numerous ways you might find the snake... By the way, I have about 30 other possible ways that could have played out. I'm looking forward to hearing more about Blo-Go's wild adventures.