Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Kids Say the Darndest Things

This post actually started several years ago but, I was not a blogger back then.

I was running into Target one day after Thanksgiving to get ribbon for a wreath. The wreath was for the cemetery as we decorate family gravestones each year for the holidays. While at Target I met one of Eddy's teachers I introduced myself and she told me she had a story to tell me about Eddy. I groaned thinking this was 'one of those' stories about his behavior or something. She continued, "last week I read to Eddy's first grade class, we read about Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving, you know the one where he messes up the meal?" yes.... "Well, after Charlie Brown messes up the meal he calls his Grandma, and I asked the class 'what do you think Charlie Brown's grandma told Charlie Brown about messing up the meal' and in all seriousness I called on Eddy and he said 'whaaa whaaaawaaaa' the teacher said, just like the adults on Charlie Brown talk." I was rolling on the floor! As an avid Charlie Brown fan, that is in fact what Charlie Brown's grandma would have said.

Second funny thing Eddy said happened many moons ago when he was in nursery school. I do not think they still call it that, so let me rewind and say that he was in pre-school. He came home one day in January and said we are learning about martinknewtheking, huh?? I said. You know that African American who helped give people freedom, you know mom martinknewtheking day, we don't have school that day. oh I said, Martin Luther King, yeah he said martinknewtheking. So every year in our house we celebrate the birthday of that great American freedom fighter Martin Knew the King.

Finally a funny that is not so funny, but take it in context. Before the Anti Hippie and I lived together Eddy and I lived with my parents. We watched a lot of news, Eddy watched the news with us every night, as we prepared dinner. Well with this story maybe he watched a tad to much. I recently had a class with a lady, we shall call her Jenni, who was doing her student teaching in Eddy's kindergarten class and she told me this story: One March afternoon while Jenni was in Eddy's classroom the teacher came in and told the class she had some bad news, and Eddy pipes up unsolicited and says "yeah I know Terri Schiavo died" and the teacher and Jenni who were really going to tell the class that recess was going to be inside, just looked at each other, wondering where in hell did that come from. Well folks that came from the mouth of a kindergartener who watched too much adult television.

Hope my stories made you laugh, they are much better told in person with a good glass of wine, but you get the point. Right?

No comments: